This was also a demo piece showing how to use multiple patterns and pieces. Kind of a” more is more “piece. Often the first layer is so busy you have to paint over or veil or completely mask out areas with paper, but it is a challenge I enjoy. Rescuing your work is a very helpful skill to cultivate.
Monthly Archives: July 2013
Both of these small works were done with a transfer method using acrylic medium and newspaper images. I always have mixed results with transfer techniques but I do like the look so I keep trying. In this case, I painted medium over the newspaper image and then placed a piece of drawing paper on top and rubbed with a spoon. It gives a grainy image, reminiscent of an image seen through a window during a rainstorm. Other bits of rubbings and drawings were added.
One of my dear British friends sent me a card with an oil painting by Bill Bolger. Just for fun I decided to copy it in collage and then send it back to her. It was a relaxing exercise since all the hard work of composition and color were already made for you. I added purple roofs just because I like purple.
These three collages were a collaboration even though neither Robert nor I knew it at the time. The backgrounds of each of these is sandpaper, more accurately used sandpaper. Robert used a power sander on our old butcher block to clean it and level it and the sandpaper was immediately appealing. I cut it in strips and used it on these three owl pieces that I had in progress. Voila’- serendipity at its best.
For this year, I started with an idea of portraits of Robert and myself. With no more planning than that, I simply began drawing a figure and this is what appeared. The medium is colored pencil with some sgraffito lines I like to add to my work. Our lives and our figures are intertwined (a reflection of that small NYC apartment?) as we try to keep moving and keep experiencing new places, events, food and people. We hope it leads to some knocks on our door.
At our loft in Massachusetts, each unit has a 12″x 12″ name plate next to the door. I decided to use the space as a small art gallery and have some fun with it. This piece began with the paperback cover found in England, a brochure from the Victoria and Albert museum and associated crime and punishment papers in my collection. These include a sheet of fingerprints I had to have taken prior to teaching in a public school and publicity material for a gallery in a repurposed jail in Bristol, England. Ransom letters spell out the names of the “criminals”.
This piece incorporates rubbings made in Europe, cut and pasted flowers and printed leaves. It actually reads like a giant postcard. It has nice movement across the page and a horizontal format which I rarely do.Looking at it now, it would benefit from some more contrast but you learn from every piece.
Another piece unearthed in my studio in North Adams. This was one of my first successful abstract collages using painted papers and type. I still like it and wonder where in the world the original landed. I sold the piece soon after I made it. I am going back to some abstract work and still finding it a challenge.
This piece is the most complex of the process paintings, It was done on a piece of handmade Indian watercolor paper and has many layers of ink, acrylics, and rubbing alcohol. Layers were allowed to dry between applications which resulted in some quite nice effects, such as the blue web-like shape at the top in the middle. Allowing small pools and puddles to dry produces rings of color and meanderings and merging of colors in beautiful ways. The gold metallic background adds to the drama.
Another piece from the process painting series. This time I poured over a collaged surface of squares and rectangles to see how the paint would settle. After drying, I added some highlights and a few touches of blue to resolve the piece. This is a very good technique for discarded pieces. Sometimes the underpainting adds depth and layers of subtle color that would be difficult to achieve otherwise.